9.11.10

Americans Abroad

  Yes, I've been living overseas in Europe's old Eastern Bloc for going on 2 years now, however, where I am in this little Romanian city, I don't really happen upon American tourists much, NEVER really.  There are a lot of German and occassionaly some Asian toursits here in our quiet little city.

  Italy though, is a whole different ballgame.  I was there last week visiting my husband.  We took a train to Monterossa al Mare - about a 10 min. ride from where he lives and works in La Spezia.  There was a LARGE group of American tourists - all around retirement age, while they were nice and respectful in most aspects - they were also rather loud and somewhat obnoxious.  I suddenly realized that I don't like Americans!!!  While most are kind and well behaved, there are those that spoil it for the rest of us.  Those that think that because they ARE Americans, everyone should make way for them.  Those are the ones who make my life hell - because then all the locals in these European places, think that all Americans are like that first one they encountered!  Grrrrrr......

  Life in Europe, especially in Italy definitely moves at a somewhat slower pace.  For example - don't even attempt to get any type of shopping done between the hours of 1-3:30 p.m. Everything is closed for lunch!  The whole month of August - the country shuts down for vacation!  It's insane, cool but insane.  I did notice that bars and pubs don't stay open past like 10 p.m.  There are a few here and there that do, but for the most part, nope, if you want to party - do it at home!  I like that.  It's like that here too, at least in Tulcea.  Maybe in the bigger cities like Rome, Milan, Bucharest, etc.  Maybe there are places that do stay open till the wee hours of the morning, but they are few and far between.

  I understand why Europeans generally don't like Americans, and why they overcharge them for items (that is not right in my book), but at the same time, it's more of a jealousy issue.  Even as badly as the American immigration & judical system treated my husband, he still LOVES America and everything about it.  Sometimes I wish I could be so forgiving.....

....to put it bluntly I'm pissed at my own country.  My husband made mistakes, yes, he paid the price for those mistakes, but yet, they still denied him legal entrance into the U.S. Forget the taxes he paid!

4 comments:

LTM said...

it's true. Americans can be annoying. But at the same time, they can be extremely loving and generous... there are many good things about your people, don't forget! :o)

we miss you, but aren't you having some great adventures? Have you found our house yet? ;p <3

Ex-pat Odessa said...

Yes, LOTS of great things, but you know that old saying "One bad apple spoils the whole bunch.."
it's kinda like that....

..not all US citizens are obnoxious morons, just one or two, and those one or two leave a bad taste in everyones mouth!

Gorges Smythe said...

Funny thing, some Americans act just the same way over here! Just for the record, the French and English aren't always so popular in THIS country either. Personally, I agree with a bumper sticker that I saw years ago that said, "The more I know people, the more I like my dog!"

Ex-pat Odessa said...

Georges, I love your comments! :)

Oh the French are HORRID no matter where they are. I read something last year that rated tourists from other countries, they said the French are the absolute worst. They refuse to even try to learn a word of the language of the country they are visiting, they are very picky, and obnoxious as well. Saw a French family last week, well, let's put it this way, if it would have rained - the woman would have drowned: that's how up in the air her nose was! I don't mean figurately either - LITERALLY IN THE AIR!